Reporting to the International Manager, the incumbent provides support to the International Centre and settlement support to new arriving international students to facilitate their transition to living and studying in Canada. The incumbent will coordinate all arrival and settlement services by providing personal, friendly, and caring front-line service to all students to maximize and retain students on campus by providing a positive experience.
In addition, the incumbent will serve as the primary advisor and advocate for international students, providing specialized advice and support throughout their lifecycle on campus from paid applicant, to registered student to graduate. The incumbent will provide personal, friendly, and caring front-line service to all students to maximize and retain students on campus. As a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA), the incumbent will guide international students on matters related to study, work and Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) requirements to ensure students make appropriate immigration related decisions to remain compliant with Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRRC).
- Coordinates arrival services and settlement to assist international students to travel and transition to Canada. Coordinate International Student Leader program, pre-departure orientation, airport pickup services, and assistance to secure accommodations as well Orientation activities.
- Advises and advocates for international students during their lifecycle on campus from paid applicant to graduate.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge related to the College and its programs policies and procedures and IRCC policies and procedures to guide students to make decisions related to immigration to remain compliant.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge related to IRCC policies and procedures to advise College Administration to assist with enrolment strategies, decision-making, and planning.
- Interviews students who are considering a transfer request to alternate institution advising on IRCC regulations
- Develops and facilitates specialized workshops on immigration for students
- Develops and coordinates informative presentations to international students on student life in Canada
- Develops and coordinates various cultural and social activities to enhance the overall student experience, to promote diversity on campus and integration of international students
- Initiates, coordinates and processes all international student refund and transfer requests
- Supports International Admissions and Registration Officer during peak application times by completing applicant processing
- Completion of a two (2) year College diploma in Business, Social Studies, International Education, or a related field
- Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) designation required
- A minimum of three (3) years of related experience supporting students in a postsecondary environment, specifically with international students
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience understanding cross-cultural issues and experience and knowledge providing customer service to multi-cultural groups.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills, problem-solving and solution-focused skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills – written and oral, specifically for students whose English is not their first language
- Ability to work co-operatively, to accomplish joint tasks and build positive working relationships
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed
- Knowledge and understanding of post-secondary programs/services and IRCC policies is essential
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent computer skills and demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver presentations to large groups of students, parents and faculty
- Advanced knowledge and experience of MS Suite including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Aptitude or ability to work with relevant College systems and databases
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Effective client management skills, including the application of initiative and problem-solving skills